[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
ProjectRadio Forum - View topic - Dj, Mixing, And Production
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Dj, Mixing, And Production 

Post Dj, Mixing, And Production
Hi hows it going? I want to start a thread to talk about the many aspects of mixing and being a good DJ\producer. What are your thoughts on what it takes to be a successful DJ? What are some important things to know about Djing? Have any proverbs to share? Basically I want to promote positive thinking amongst the people around me and this I feel will be a great way to share positive ideas amongst people.

You might learn something, you might teach something, either way its positive.

Peace
Jester :lol:

Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:00 pm
Profile YIM

Post Re: Dj, Mixing, And Production
Lets say it in 4 Words....

Time, Motivation, Friends, Connections...

Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:56 am
Profile ICQ WWW

Its not what you know as much as who you know! Dedication is another to add to the list.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:16 pm
Profile YIM

I think this is a great idea. I always want to learn more!

- My Website!

Best Trance DJ =

Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I don't think its all about who you know.Yes you have to know people.But i think you have to know alot.Its all about knowing more than the next guy but helping him learn.That's the only way this thing will grow.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:12 am

Post Re: Dj, Mixing, And Production-Tips to becoming a successful
---------DJing------------

A, be respectful and professional with everyone, your promoters, fellow DJs, the audience, venue help/owners, everyone. even if they don't show respect towards you, you have to be the stronger person. I have found that for this very reason alone I have gotten pretty successful, played with greats like Crystal Method, Q-Bert, etc.

B, It is helpful not to be trashed when on the decks. I know, the common arguement to that is "he/she performs better smashed." ... in 6 years of DJing, i've only met 1 DJ who moved me as a "raver", was smashed, and was professional about himself... so sober DJing is the better DJing in my opinion.

C, connections, connections, connections! you need connections. right now Facebook and twitter are MUSTS! in this day and age, it's how alot of people get wind of events going on. before i had a booking agent, I found it helpful to post my phone number up on Facebook, twitter, etc., that is mainly up to you and how comfortable you are with your cell phone number being availible to the public, but it does help. Local Connections with promoters is a must too. how else are you going to get booked? :D

D, Demos/freebies. even bringing just 10 home-made demo CDs to each show can give you great exposure. people will take them home, throw it in the CD player, and jam out to it. 9 times out of 10, if these people like you, and they see your name on an up-coming show's flyer, they will be there. on these demos (whether they're home-made or not) need to have your DJ Name (obviously), Genres, and contact/booking info.

E, it's good to be original. Myself and a buddy of mine are doing something in KC that's truely original, and it's catching on like wildfire. it not only has grabbed the attention of 3 different production crews, but the local scene as well. Sure, beatmatching DJs sound good and can keep the crowd going, but every DJ can beatmatch. whether it's beat juggling from time to time, scratching, or whatever, find some way to take your DJing to the next level and make it un-like anyone else's DJing.

F, Being flexible is a must. back in my band days (yeah, i was a band geek.. lol) my band director drilled a certain phrase in my head, and i still say it to this day, "hurry up and wait." as a performer, this is great to know, respect, and practice. what it means is just that, hurry up and get there WELL in advance if your set (we're talking an hour min.) and make sure you have all your gear ready, and then wait around (check out the other DJs, talk to people, it's especially a good idea to tell people when your playing and a good time to hand out demos, this gets people engaged to you and your performance.)

--that's a good basis, a lot of info, and a good basis to start your successful DJ career off right. I may have missed some stuff, but it's 7:30 AM, and i'm usually asleep right now. :) any questions, comments, etc, feel free to e-mail me at dj_reeves_breaknkc@yahoo.com or on facebook, Thanks and PLUR!!!

The total Project Radio Noob,
DJ Reeves - Kansas City, MO

Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]